The client forgot his/her own password and doesn’t want to reinstall the entire OS?
This guide will show you how to reset the user password without reformatting.
1. 1st thing to do is we are going to boot the pc into recovery mode.
• Restart or Switch on your PC/Laptop
• Go to the GRUB menu.
Note: if the grub menu doesn’t appear when turning on the PC you can try to restart while holding the shift key.
2. Select Advance options for ubuntu wasta-linux and press enter, a black screen will appear
then select recovery mode by using the arrow keys and press enter.
3. After the loading process you’ll see a different options for recovery mode.
Here you need to select root (Drop to root shell prompt).
4. After pressing the enter button you’ll see an option to enter a command at the bottom. Then enter your root password then press enter key or press Control D.
5. Now you can enter the commands the command for you to be able to have a write access to the root partition. (By default, it has read-only access).
6. Type the following command “mount -rw -o remount /” and hit enter. Now you have the root access.
7. If you are not sure about the username, use the following command to list all the users available. “ls /home” and press enter.
8. Use the following command to reset the password for the selected username. “passwd username”.
9. Enter your new UNIX password twice.
10. It will prompt you that the password updated successfully. Then type exit.
11. You will go back to recovery men, and you can now select resume to boot normally.
12. There will be a warning about the graphics mode compatibility, just hit enter.
13. You should now be able to login with your new password.