There remain a lot of posts interesting to one simple fact – essential to execute backups on a systematic basis. Individuals will always be separated into two groups: those who do backup, and those who don’t. The first group, which overlooks this information, can frequently be found on relevant forums or blogs with abundant the identical queries:
- My hard drive failed/someone has deleted my db… How can I restore my records?
- Do you have the latest backup? No.
In order to avoid this unpleasant situation, minimum effort is required.
There’s a lot of application that can be used but I recommend this one because I been using this for years. SQLBackupAndFTP is a software that backups SQL Server, MySQL, and PostgreSQL Server databases, performs regular full, differential, and transaction log backups, runs file/folder backup, zips and encrypts the backups, stores them on a network or on an FTP server or in the cloud (Amazon S3 and others – we’re constantly adding more), removes old backups, and sends an e-mail confirmation on the job’s success or failure.
Steps to Follow.
Connect to Database Server
- Server type: Choose “Microsoft SQL Server (local)” if you installed the MS SQL locally on your computer.
- Server name: dot means local computer or you can type the server name.
- Choose Windows Authentication if you don’t like to type the user name and password otherwise choose SQL Server Authentication.
- Tick the database and Save & Close.
Storage backups in selected destinations
- Select Local/Network Folder/NAS
- Enter local Database path
- Select all Send backup types
- Click Test to Test Connection.
Schedule backups – in here you need to set the schedule of the backup. If your business is critical and the amount of transactions are too big you need to enter the backup frequency wisely I recommend if your business in retail its better to backup it in every 10-15mins.
- Tick Full Backup and set the time
- Enter time range for backup job
- You can choose what days the backup will run
- Save & Close
Mail Server Settings – you can customize which email will going to send the email notification.
- By default use SQLBAckupAndFTP mail server.
- Click Send Test Email and Save & Close.
Enter Job Name
- Enter the name of database backup job
- Click Run Now
Running the Job
- You can see the logs once you run the backup.
- You can confirm the exported database backup in the path you choose.
- DB is compressed.
Email Notification – for success and failed jobs you will received email notifications.
Able Home & Office
Suite 4/5 Gapina Bldg (Opposite Courthouse)
Hagen Drive, Mt. Hagen, Western Highlands Province
Ph: 542 3188