You read the title right. This is the exact question we got from one of our client. Most of the time non-technical computer users, payroll officers to be exact will be surprised to have this kind of error popping up in their screen while processing their hard-worked payroll.
File sharing lock thingy or File sharing lock count exceeded error with error number 3502 is actually the result when a large chunk of data is being processed and the database reached its sharing limit. You see, Windows has certain limits for sharing files concurrently. Able Payroll and Able Bioplus, both of which are Windows-based programs and use Microsoft Access isn’t excluded in this kind of error.
This error can be fixed by modifying the registry. Below are easy steps you can follow to correct it.
- Click on the start button and then type RUN on the search box that says “Search Program and Files”. Press enter or using your keyboard press Windows Key + R. It should open a window like this. Type in regedit and press enter.
- It should open up this window.
- Navigate to any of these paths using the navigation pane at the left side.
- For 32 bit machines navigate on these:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Jet\4.0\Engines\Jet 4.0
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\12.0(any version number available)\Access Connectivity Engine\Engines\ACE
- For 64 bit machines navigate on these:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Jet\4.0\Engines\Jet 4.0
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\12.0(any version number available)\Access Connectivity Engine\Engines\ACE
- In the right side of your Registry Editor, double click on MaxLocksPerFile. It should open a window like this.
- On the Base group box, select on Decimal, then proceed in changing the Value Data to 15000 or higher depending on how big the chunk of data you will need to process. Once done press enter and close any visible windows.
- We suggest to restart your computer to make sure that changes on the registry will be applied correctly.
Just a reminder, make sure that you follow the steps correctly as all of the programs that are using Microsoft Access will be affected by this changes.
Check us out again for more tips and workaround on your Able Payroll. ☺️👍